Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hallelujah!


There are a few things wrong with this picture.
1. I am not with the Cambridge Singers.
2. The Royal Philharmonic will not be there.
3. John Rutter will not be conducting - that, by the way, would be a privilege.
4. It will not be the complete work.

However, the picture provides a springboard into the topic of a local production of The Messiah.
1. A choir composed of 3 local churches.
2. An orchestra composed of the same churches.
3. A conductor from one of the churches.
4. Comprised of 5 choral pieces and 4 solo pieces.


If you have never been to a performance of Handel's Messiah, you are truly missing out. Biblical text put to a masterful music score featuring elaborate solos and arrangements. It tells the story from the prophecy of the Messiah to His death and ressurection. Usually, you will see the complete work performed at Easter which is about four hours in lenth. I have been fortunate enough as to have sung the entire work four times with some amazing artists.

Tomorrow and Saturday, however, we will be performing a smaller portion of The Messiah for the community. It will only be about 35 minutes long and will feature some amazing local solists. The best part is that it is FREE! I have really enjoyed preparing for this because it has been so long since I have sung great choral music.

Let me know if you would like more details about the performance by emailing me.

4 comments:

Abby McNair said...

Will be there to watch it! Looking forward to it!

Melissa Amateis said...

I watched a performance of the Messiah in college - it is absolutely gorgeous!

Amber Pankonin said...

I went to my nephew's Christmas concert at LCS last night...guess what they did???? Yeah, it was the Messiah! Did I mention that it was 1st-6th grade?? Seriously amazing.

jnet said...

we enjoyed hearing you participate in this. i wish they would have asked the audience to join you in the hallelujah chorus - i love singing that!!!!