Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Date at the Zoo

Hubs and I spend a lot of time together. Almost every evening in fact. But, we don't hardly go on dates. You know, the kind of date that you actually plan something to do and it is out of the ordinary?

Hubs and I also seem to have a thing for zoos. We have been to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha twice and early this year went to the San Diego Zoo. Both of these zoos are top-notch. So, to continue a trend, we tried out the Sedgwick County Zoo.


Both Hubs and I set our expectations low, but it ended up being a really nice zoo and it will rank as one of the best trips for me because we were able to see one of my favorite animals at feeding time!

Usually when it is 90+ degrees out, all the animals are snoozing. We got to see some action, though, because they were feeding the Grizzly bears!


Above us, keepers were tossing down vegetables - heads of lettuce, stalks of celery, apples, carrots, etc. The bear in the water was hysterical. He would catch food in his mouth and put his whole face in the water looking for food he may have dropped.


There was a thick piece of glass between us and this bear. I have never been this close!


I, of course went on and on about how cute they look - their ears look just as soft as Ransom's - but Hubs continues to insist that they are not nice.


We also were able to see the lions, tigers, and gorillas - all were quite active, or at least close enough to get great views. Actually, while watching a peeved gorilla, some little kids taunted it (instructed to do so by their mother). Made this gorilla even more made. He punched the glass once; then kicked it. Wow - that was some major force against some really strong glass!


The hot air wore Hubs and I out (that, and the fact that we both worked out before we drove to the zoo). I watched in amazement as these parents seemed to still have plenty of energy despite the heat - I suppose you learn that when you have kids.

We had a nice date and I am determined to plan them more often. I'm thinking once a month. How often do you go on a real date with your spouse?

3 comments:

Tressa said...

Sadly, we hardly ever go on dates... I keep forgetting that I'll have to plan them. I can't believe how close you were to that tiger!!! Awesome! Love zoos!

joan said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Shanle's said...

I love the zoo! ;) Looks like you had fun! We have a zoo here as well but I'm waiting for cooler weather before I venture out with the boys! ;)

How've you been??

SS