Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Milestone

Remember this post?

145 days later, I ran my fastest mile ever: 7 minutes, 15 seconds.

Not only that, but I ran 2 miles in under 15 minutes - a 7:30 pace. It is necessary to take into account that it was probably not a full 2 miles due to where our apartment complex is located and I did stop after the first mile, before turning around and completing the second.

How did it feel? It hurt. Did I mention there is a ginormous hill to defeat both directions? I'm such a whiner.

I have to say that I am surprised and happy with the accomplishment; however, there is a down-side to this. When I come back from a run, I have no excuse to tell Richard I ran anything above a 9-minute mile. He says that when I go out for a 3 or 4 miler, I should continually be in the 8-minutes. That means agonizing pain every single time I work out. Needless to say, I still do not have the "drive" and motivation that a competitive runner needs.

I will have to say that this proves what I said in my very first post - everyone can run and can inprove. I hated, despised, loathed running more than anyone else I know. It hurt; it felt like I was dying with every single step. Each person has to set a goal, determine a schedule and work towards it. Whether it is starting out on the treadmill by walking 5 minutes and running 1 minute for 30 minutes and working up to running a full 30 minutes; whether it is finding a running partner and scheduling a time to go together each week; whether it is signing up for a race with friends and setting a goal for that - I truly believe that each person (without disability or ailment) can learn to run.

I don't love to run, but I enjoy it and the physical activity. I love the feel that I get when I am back home from a run. I feel like I accomplished something great and I feel healthy.

No comments: