Thursday, October 30, 2008

The inconvenience of convenience

I have grown up with the convenience of cell phones, the internet, pay-at-the-pump gas stations, 24-hour grocery stores less than 5 minutes away, multiple vehicles per family, and the news immediately as it happens via TV. So, when something isn't working...these conveniences are inconvenient (have I over-used the word "convenient" yet?).

I love that I can have news stories brought to me as they occur (as opposed to waiting for the next day's newspaper), but man do those reporters mess it up sometimes. They get to decide what news to share and how to share it.

I love having my cell phone for emergencies or just to call up a friend whenever I want. But, aren't there times that you just want to ignore its ring or leave it at home? However, it is so frustrating if the person you are calling doesn't have their phone with them at all times!

Or (I had this situation last week), your usual pharmacy (less than a block away) closes early on Saturday. So, you have to drive 3 miles to the 24-hour pharmacy and wait in line because it is the only one in a 20 mile radius!

And, what about when the grocery store is out of something you need? You mean I have to drive 5 minutes down the road to the other grocery store? Talk about inconvenience!

In my quest for continuing my education, I have found that some colleges and universities offer distance education courses. Convenient, right? The major I want to pursue, however, is not offered as a distance education option. How inconvenient!

Ha, I actually found myself getting upset about this.

My goodness, what struggles we 21st century people are faced with today!

No comments: