Monday, November 17, 2008

Who knew Santa Claus coming to town would win me $98?

At 11:10, I put on my radio headphones at work. Why? To listen for the "cue to call" in for a radio contest.

I heard it and started dialing. Then, in a momentary lapse of brain power, I couldn't get my fingers to work the phone in my normal speedy, efficient fashion. Hello! This is part of my job. So, after wasting a whole bunch of time trying to use the "redial" and "release" buttons, I just dialed the phone number again in the old-fashioned way. To my utter astonishment, it was ringing and I was the magical 7th caller.

Usually, the contests I play are taped, but they did this one live. It was the longest minute and a half waiting for the song to end. The contest is: they play a part of a Christmas song, when it stops play, you have to finish singing the phrase. My Christmas song was "Santa Claus is Coming to Town;" I finished the phrase and won a $98 gift card to the local mall!

I was recently asked how I win this stuff. My answer is that I just try to win. I drop my business card in fish bowls all around town. I call into the radio station if I want to win something. How many people, though, hear about a a contest and just never enter or call? If you want to start winning, just start trying. You won't win them all, but you'll definitely increase your chances!

1 comment:

Shanle's said...

seriously, heather... you LITERALLY win every other time, i SWEAR! could you please pretend to be me, again, and win something for SARAH?? =) that'd make my day, okay? =) ha ha, just kidding.

how'd your weekend go??

-sarah