Friday, November 7, 2008

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas

Hubs laughs, but it smells like Christmas outside. It's cold and windy - typical for November in Nebraska. I wouldn't mind the cold, however, if there was some snow! You all think I am crazy, but I love snow until about mid-January. Then I, like the rest of the normal people out there, am ready for it to go away.


I talked to my Gram last week and she said that Findley Lake already has snow (see picture above). Memories of my birthday as a kid came back. Without fail, we trick-or-treated in blizzard conditions. And then, the grass did not re-appear until April. I would trampse through feet - not inches - of snow to wait for the bus (school was rarely cancelled).

I am not crazy enough to wish for 6 full months of snow, but I am wishing for a white Christmas. I would just love to wake up on Christmas day and see the ground completely white. Soft snowflakes gently falling. And then, when stepping out into the wintery weather, it is just quiet. The only thing heard is the crush of the snow beneath my feet. That, I do miss.

What do you think? Snow, or no snow?

2 comments:

Shanle's said...

Heather,

I, too, am a HUGE fan of having a white Christmas. Christmas is and always has been my favorite holiday. I believe I get it from my mother and my mom's mother. We just have a spirit of JOY around this time of year and it warms our hearts completely! I would LOVE for it to be white on Christmas day... It doesn't always happen and it doesn't feel just "right" without snow. As a matter of fact, I'd love for it to start snowing Christmas Eve. Ah, perfection. I used to always sing, "Let it Snow" whenever I wanted it to snow... Quite often it would snow... I'll save it for a special occasion this year! =)

-Sarah

P.S. It probably feels more like Christmas season there then here!

Melissa Amateis said...

White Christmas all the way! It's just not Christmas without snow.