Saturday, October 16, 2010

Excerpts from "Principles of Clothing Selection"

We have a very cute used bookstore in our town. One where they wrap your books up in paper and twine. While I was browsing, I found this book and was so intrigued that I left with it:


This book was published in 1923 and belonged to Irene Baker. It looks like she read it in her Domestic Arts class in 1930.


As I read through it, I giggle and I smile. It is a fun read and actually very beneficial for the style-handicapped, such as myself. So, don't be surprised when you get a little excerpt every now and then from this fun book.

Today's excerpt is from the preface:

"The aim of this book is to aid in developing a new viewpoint that will lead women to select clothing on the basis of its aesthetic, hygienic, and economic values rather than on the basis of its conformity to fashion. This will establish saner standards of dress than now prevail and thus be a contribution to the development of the ideal American home."

How interesting that in 1923 they were addressing issue of fashion and money and style. Sounds like something that could be written for today.

No comments: