Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Proverbs 16:9

"A man’s heart plans his way,
But the LORD directs his steps."

Our Tuesday morning "Breakfast Club" is going through Proverbs, which I find challenging. I am not, nor will I ever be, a poetry fan and I find Proverbs to be somewhat poetic. I am more of a literal, black/white gal - just tell it to me like it is. But this verse stopped me and applies to our life so well at this time.

When I was younger, I planned out my life. God has directed my steps elsewhere everytime! Need examples? I planned to go to Cedarville University, I went to HCC and UNL. I planned to be a nurse or a doctor, I am neither. I planned to graduate from college, I have not. You get the picture.

I have found that God's plan is always the right way and he has directed my steps in amazing, obvious ways. I am very content and glad that I am where He has me today, but you would have thought that I would learn from the past.

This verse was a great reminder to me as Richard and I take a look at our future. I have been planning to go back to school and finish my degree, no matter what. I have been planning to move in a year. I have been planning many areas of my life, and then letting God know about it.

So, I am working on listening to where God's leads me in many areas of my life, and then planning from there. The verse definitely doesn't say, "Sit and wait until God directs your steps." We still plan ahead for our future, but remember as you plan, that God is directing your steps to take you to the place He wants to put you in. Watch your attitude when he changes your way. And remember: where better to be than in God's plan?

No comments: