Tuesday, May 11, 2010

On My Wedding Day - Part 2

Some of you have already heard of the unfortunate tales behind the scenes of our wedding just under 4 years ago. But alas, there are a few more. And since it is wedding week in our family, it seems like a god time to share.

The unfortunate marriage license ordeal
I picked up our marriage license in plenty of time - Tuesday before the wedding. That was an important detail that I wanted to get out of the way.

So, I was shocked on Friday when Hubs (still in Nebraska) called to inform me that the Johnson County Courthouse called to inform him that our marriage license was invalid. Furthermore, I had until noon to pick up a valid one. It was 9am. It is the day before the wedding, so obviously it is pretty planned out. Yet, Beth and I leave my mom to get her nails done alone as we drive completely out of our way to pick up our true and valid license. Sigh.

The unfortunate outdoor pictures
I'm an outdoors person, all the way. However, I hate it when it reaches 90 degrees and above. Unfortunately, the entire week of our wedding (duh, it was in July) was in the hundreds. (Yet another reason I question why we live in Kansas). Smoldering is the only word that I can use to describe that week. 

But, I still believed outdoor pictures would be worth the heat.

Thankfully, the day of our wedding a cold front came through. It was in the mid-90s. We spent hours taking pictures - most of them outdoors. Hubs and I were the only people who actually had to be out there the entire time. I get grumpy when I'm hot, but I seemed to endure the heat pretty well that day.

When we came home from our honeymoon, we noticed Richard's mother's legs were covered in red spots. We asked what had happened, and she was kind of quiet. Come to find out, she had gotten chigger bites up and down both of her legs. How? From taking pictures outside.

Talk about feeling horrible. We felt worse. They were so bad that she could not sleep and so bad that a week later they still were there. How the rest of us did not end up with them, I have no idea. I'm still very sorry about that Joan!

The unfortunate flower petals
My mom ordered beautiful red flower petals that got placed all over the reception area, the cake, and were thrown at us as we walked out to the limo. The church was brand new. It has only been completed a week or so ahead of our wedding. 

After we left, we found that red flower petals bleed onto the floor. My family spent hours cleaning them up off of the brand new tile. 

The limo ride
We got into our limo to see all the groomsmen in there. We laughed and they got out. Five seconds later I was bawling. It could have been the fact that I got about 4 hours of sleep. It could have been that I needed a hot shower. It could have been that I hadn't eaten, that I got a ticket, that I ran into a glass door, or that I did not get to pack my suitcase. It was probably just because every single emotion was on overload in my body and the only way to get it out was to cry. Either way, I'm sure Hubs was wondering what he had just gotten in to. 

At any rate, we got married despite the obstacles. Oh, how glad I am that it is not my wedding on Saturday!

1 comment:

joan said...

Heather, the wedding was on my mind all day every day for about 3 weeks! It is a story that can be better with time . . . : )