Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Life keeps going and going and going

In 38 days we are going to Hawaii.

In 148 days I will be 25.

In 229 days Richard will be 25.

In 337 days Richard will be a dentist.

As a child, I remember thinking, "I can't wait to be 10." Then, "I can't wait to be 16." As a teenager I couldn't wait to be 18. In jr. high we want to be in high school. In high school we want to be in college. And in college, we want to be done with school. At some point the "I can't waits" turn to "I wish I was still..." The desire to be done with college turns to "remember the days..." Where is that turning point in which we stopping wanting to be older and start wishing time wouldn't go by so fast?

Some days I feel old. Those days when I think of how old my brothers are now. Those days when I see kids I used to babysit graduate from high school. Those days when I think back on high school and can't remember details as clearly.

Some days I feel young. Those days when see friends buying houses and having kids. Those days when I talk about going back to college. Those days when I think of all the years left in our life.

When Richard started his 3rd year of dental school, we knew it would fly by and determined that we would enjoy every moment of it. Both those things happened. Before we know it, we will be forced to grow up and live in the adult world. But, there is one thing that will never change. We will live life and enjoy every moment of it. And so, I will look forward to our vacation in Hawaii and I will be ready when it comes time for Richard to graduate, but these are days I will never forget.

Remembering the fun times is good. Looking forward to the future is good. Living in the present, however, is the only way to enjoy life the way God has planned. My grandma used to sing this song to wake us up in the morning (It definitely sounds better at 3:00 in the afternoon as opposed to 6:30am):

"This is the day. This is the day that the Lord has made, that the Lord has made. We will rejoice. We will rejoice and be glad in it, and be glad in it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a pleasure as the mother/mother-in-law to watch you two grow together. Keep savoring the moment and enjoy the day HE has given us. Richard may not remember but I too used to sing the same song and I would also sing "Rise and Shine and Give God the Glory Glory"!

Love- Joan