Friday, May 16, 2008

The Overwhelmed Heart

I get together with some great girls on Thursday mornings (6:30am, wanna come?). We drink coffee, eat scones, and talk about a Psalm that we read and studied over the past week. I don't listen well and studied this one instead of the actual one we chose. Read these verses:

Psalm 61:1-4
Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

For You have been a shelter for me,
A strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.

I love two phrases in this sentence. "From the end of the eath" and "When my heart is overwhelmed." Don't you get to that place when you feel like you are at your witts end? Where you are overwhelmed with it all? It is usually at that point I remember to cry to the Lord. To give it all over. To trust in His shelter. To rest in the Lord. And, what a great burden is taken off our mind. Peace then overwhelms me, knowing the sovreign, Almighty God is taking care of me. Next time, before we get to that overwhelming state, let's cry to the Lord and give it to Him. Continue reading Psalm 61 and on to 62 & 63. They show David's resolve to rest in the Lord through all that he doesn't understand. To stand firm in his salvation.

Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite psalms - my favorite phrase is "lead me to a rock that is higher than i" - isn't that so comforting?? God is a ROCK that is higher and He will lead us there!! When we are overwhelmed or feeling lost. Gotta love it! Thanks for sharing!