Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas songs & decor

Oh, the weather outside is frightful / But the fire is so delightful / And, since we've no place to go / Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

I put the Christmas cd's in the car this week. I am that person scream-singing in my car to all the songs. Hand motions and facial expressions may or may not be included. But I love Christmas music (with the one exception of Santa Baby). From the simple childhood songs, to the ancient carols, to the triumphant brass, to the songs with deep lyrics and closely intertwining harmonies, I could listen to these songs throughout the year.

It's about the cross / It's about my sin / It's about how Jesus came to be born once so that we could be born again // It's about God's love / Nailed to a tree // It's about every drop of blood that flowed from Him when it should have been me.

Listening to the music this year has made me remember how much I loved singing in a group, working out difficult lines that, when put together, make lovely melodies. Like most things in my life, I didn't stick with it and it is such a vague memory anymore. Instead, I've become a proficient car singer.

There have been so many babies to become a king / But only one King became a baby

When it comes to interior design & decor, I don't pretend that I am any good at decorating. Really, I have no clue how to put things together, but I am happy with our simple mantel this year. And, I did decide on the colors I wanted to stick with. Instead of pulling out every item in the 4 Christmas totes, I stuck with things that go together (I hope). My lack of style really begs the question, "Why would you even show the world your finished product." Nobody is going to see it this year besides us, so I'm sharing it so it doesn't go to waste.

Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother / And in His Name all oppression shall cease // Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we / Let all within us praise His holy Name!


I really wanted 3 dark brown frames with white matting for the printouts, but we decided not to spend money on decorations this year, so I had to use what I had. It works, but I'll still hope for the new frames next year.


He is here / The Savior has been born / The one we've waited for / Surrounded by our praises // He is here / The promise of our King / To you our lives we bring / Let you glory be revealed


Just a simple carpenter who found himself in love / with a girl bearing the child of the Divine // Just a simple manger yet somehow it was enough / to accommodate the God of space and time

Only 2 weeks until Christmas and I've only bought Hubs' gifts. I ordered my Christmas cards too late and they will go out after the holiday. We've gone to zero Christmas parties and we've not even put up a tree. But, I'm enjoying the twinkle lights around the neighborhood and the carols on the radio and I'm looking forward to time with everyone I love over the holidays!

3 comments:

joan said...

Decorations look good!

Shanle's said...

I love your mantel - looks great, Heather!

jnet said...

That's the spirit! Sing away heather. Looks inviting!